I have a series of old photos of the area where I live that were provided by Matt James displayed in my home. I am working on taking current photos of the same locations today. I would be happy to hear if I can improve the accuracy of the current images. Here are the ones I have had some progress with:
Drag the vertical bar to the left or right to compare the images.
Qualicum Beach E&N Railway station
Some of the differences between these to images, taken perhaps 90 years apart are:
- probably many years ago, the freight shed was about doubled in size
- I think I need to move to the left and back up a bit in the new image judging by the angle of the roof lines of the main building
- As near as I can tell all of the old trees are gone and none of the trees in the new picture are in the old one.
- To coincide properly, I think the new image needs a bit more coverage to the left of the building.
- On the right side, I think it is about right recognizing that the building is longer.
- A better image for the old photo may improve things.
- A google street view image of the same location is here.
Qualicum from “The Lookout” looking east
These images are not a perfect match. The building in the old image is gone. It is now a town owned parking lot near the Shady Rest. It is to the left of the building in the new image.
- The line of rocks running out from the beach is interesting. Legend has i that it is a pre-euro fishing weir.
- New image to be updated.
Pre 1895 Circus comes to town in Nanaimo
This is the google image that I think matches this photo/
There are several more to follow.